Saturday, January 22, 2005

Beth reviews the latest offering from Old Navy

As many of you know, one of my biggest pet peeves in the fashion industry (one of many) is the lack of attractive, trendy clothes for those of us above a size 12 and that "plus size" seems to be a code word for either "elastic waist mom jeans" or "kitty sweatshirt." Which is why I was quite excited to see Old Navy come out with a line of "Women's Plus" clothing last Fall.

Now I haven't really spent a lot of time in Old Navy over the past few years, so I've forgotten what shopping there is like. In a nutshell, here's my review:

THE GOOD:
I was able to find two actually cute sweaters -- one on sale for $5.97, the other on sale for $11.99. In general, the clothes fit just fine, especially the jeans, which were instantly comfortable the moment I put them on.

THE BAD:
I forget the weird colors that Old Navy specializes in and that it's really a ghetto version of its classier sister, the Gap. (Note that it's not encouraging when the Gap is "classier" than anything)
There was enough bright orange, yellow and turquoise in the store to get me seizuring my way back to 1984. Not everything in the store is available in the larger sizes, so you're got less to choose from -- mostly basics like jeans and solid t-shirts.

OVERALL:
Look, it's a sweater for $5.97 -- it's hard to complain much, but remember that you do get what you pay for. If you can stand to put up with the tween-infected stores (the one I went to had more clothes wadded up on the floor than on the racks), it's not a bad place to find weekend wear. Online is certainly the saner way to go, but take the seemingly adorable clothes with a GIANT grain of salt and remember that they're kind of shabbily made.

On the bright side, no kitty sweatshirts to be seen anywhere.

No comments: