Wednesday, February 23, 2005

I sense a pilgrimage coming on!

Jack Kerouac's original manuscript of On the Road is, well, hitting the road itself... and damn but that cheesy line just made me feel like a witty little journalism geek. Whoo, I still got it in me, folks! I forget how wonderful and viceral Kerouac's writing is and what a pleasure it is to read him. I always feel my energy level rising when I read chaotic and joy filled passages like this:

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars..."

How can you not get overwhelmed by that??? Is that not the most beautiful thing you've ever heard? If you are not smiling and jumping up to stand on your keyboard with your fists raised saying YES, ME TOO, JACK, ME TOO! then, well, you're probably more well adjusted than me. Oh, and you're probably dead inside, too.

I need to revisit my old copy of On The Road and maybe my 2001 new year's resolution to read everything he's written. More quotes and Kerouacian goodness here.

No comments: