Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Guilty (Musical) Pleasures

Recently, my office gave each of us $10 gift cards to iTunes, which was exceptionally cool of them. My little gift card sat in my Inbox gathering virtual dust for several weeks, which is QUITE an accomplishment for me, but I've finally renewed it.

So for those of my co-workers that actually read this thing (waddup peeps!), I share Beth's Guilty Pleasures Mix 2006:

1.) Mama Told Me Not to Come (Three Dog Night) - Mama knew what she was talking 'bout. I'm just sayin.

2.) Girls Just Want to Have Fun (Cyndi Lauper) - It's literally impossible not to grin and shake your groove thing while listening to this song. Viva Captain Lou!

3.) If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out (Cat Stevens) - For a suspected terrorist, this is a pretty warm and fuzzy song. For my high school peeps, I'd like to dedicate this song to Paaaaaaat and his pet rock.

4.) Annie's Song (John Denver) - As embarrassing as it is to admit, I tear up every time I hear this song. You can't fight the power of the cheeseball. I'd like toplay this song at my wedding while attendees pelt my new husband and I with corn-covered cheeseballs.

5.) Tangled Up In Blue (Bob Dylan) - Good stuff. A particularly ironic purchase since Dylan's all riled up about digital music.

6.) Standing Outside A Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand (Primitive Radio Gods) - I listened to this song overandoverandover while mending a broken heart. Good for driving in the rain while contemplating the sad state of your life.

7-9.) Colors, Arms of a Woman, and Keep it Loose, Keep it Tight (Amos Lee) - Props are due to my friend Katie who turned me on to Amos Lee. I like what I'm hearin'.

10.) The Passenger (Iggy Pop) - I've got particularly fond (and slightly dirty) memories of this song. Turn it up loud and sing along.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm so glad to see you like Amos :)

Dave said...

Speak of the devil...I was just exchanging notes with a couple of acquaintances about our iTunes lists, and we all made lists of the first twelve songs to come up if we set it to shuffle - no matter how embarrassing. ;) Here's mine:

1. Let's Lock the Door (And Throw Away the Key) - Jay and the Americans
2. Bitch - Meredith Brooks
3. Stagger Lee - Lloyd Price
4. I Was In the House When the House Burned Down - Warren Zevon
5. Dream A Little Dream of Me - Ella Fitzgerald
6. Look Who's Blue - Etta James
7. She's A Rainbow - The Rolling Stones
8. Rat Race - The Specials
9. I Will Follow - U2
10. Midnight Blue - Melissa Manchester
11. How Can I Tell You - Cat Stevens
12. Sweets For My Sweet - The Drifters

Not TOO embarrassing, anyway!