Saturday, June 19, 2004

Open Letter To the Buyer For The "Women's World" Department Of My Local Department Store:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Okay, I'll admit it. I'm fat. I don't like admitting that very often, and I don't like writing about it to Buyers for my Local Department Store, but after my shopping experience yesterday I have to ask, what gives?

What's with the elastic waist Mom Pants, the denim romper dresses, the Hawaiian print blouses, the "Best Nana Ever!" sweatshirts and the boxy, shapeless Real Estate Agent jackets? Do you assume that everyone over a size 12 checks their fashion sense at the door and gives up entirely? Also, is everyone over a size 12 70 years old and colorblind?

Believe me, if I could take my business elsewhere I would -- in a heartbeat, but it seems that Banana Republic, J. Crew, Abercrombie and The Gap don't want my business since they all seem to be selling exclusively to sizes 12 and under.

All I'm asking for is some well-made alternatives to Grandma-wear. Given the non-stop media coverage about this country's obesity crisis, I can't imagine I'm alone on this one. Surely there are other -- I'll say it again -- FAT women like me who haven't given up on looking chic, professional, hip and dare I even say SEXY?

Gentle Buyer for My Local Department Store, please take a lesson from stores such as Lane Bryant and Torrid who understand that while I'm not a size two, I'm still not a candidate for Mom Pants.

Until then, my "Women's World" sized behind will have to take her business elsewhere.

No comments: