Thursday, November 27, 2003

Happy Turkey Day! So nice to be home and spend some time just hanging out with family. Was a very mellow day with Mom just the two of us and then onward to Dad's with the larger clan.

I forget what's its like to be with family, the ease of it, the unconditional-ness of it. I find so many people in Seattle who don't have family there -- people like me who moved when they were young, on a whim, just to get a change of scenery. Which ends up bonding us all together, even if just in a common experience -- we become each other's family during the year and then go home during the holidays to the real thing. It's comforting to have my family around me. It's a very simple and basic feeling, really, but its not something I experience throughout the year. It can be infuriating too -- maybe its best to be had in small bunches. But I forget what's it's like to be in a place where you have a history -- where you've failed, loved, laughed...where people know you and accept you on such a complete level.

I'm clearly giddy on family tonight. Talk to me after I've been here for 10 solid days and you'll probably get a much different story.

No comments: