Tuesday, March 30, 2004

From the "Am I Just A Giant Freak Or What?" files, I raise the topic of lists. Not grocery or errand lists, I'm talking life lists -- the Things To Do Before You Die type of lists. Things I've Never Tried Before lists. Things To Do Before I Turn 30. Those lists.

I mentioned the idea of these lists to someone the other day and they looked at me like I was from another planet. I've been making those types of lists for six years now. I love them. In 1998, my fresh-scrubbed self made a list of things I had never done before and wanted to try out in the next year. It had things like "get a massage" and "drive a convertible" on it. I made little boxes next to the things so that I could tick them off when accomplished. Yes, it does run the risk of being a little on the Sark-y side. But putting something down on paper seemed to legitimize it, like a contract. Even if they're ridiculous things, knowing that there's an unchecked box next to a "to do" item can be awfully motivating.

And so it continued for many years. Some things keep getting transferred from one list to the next. The lists are always a combination of big goals ("pay off credit cards") and small ones ("try to drink more green tea"). Once I read that Elizabeth Hurley had always wanted to drive across the country alone before she turned 30 and suddenly that got added to the top of my list. What an awesome idea! I ticked that one off the list two years ago, although I only got as far as Minneapolis, but half way is better than not at all, eh?

I'm now in the process of putting together a Things To Do In Your 30s list. It's a little overwhelming. Suggestions welcomed over the next ten years.

No comments: