Saturday, March 27, 2004

I finished Dry by Augusten Burroughs this morning. Towards the end, there were actually tears streaming down my face. It was just. So. GOOD. Phew.

I sauntered out for a drive and ended up at Half Price Books which is always a happy place. At one point, looking through the writing guides section, I looked up towards the window and felt the sun on my face and felt like a warm happy kitty. Sunshine? In a bookstore? Is there anything better?

And then. It happened. These two girls, college aged, came up around me and they were talking in full outdoor voices. I was so annoyed. I guess I never paid attention to it, but I clearly have a rule against speaking in bookstores and certainly against using your OUTDOOR voice in them. It's like being in a library, people! Or church! This is a quiet space where people can reflect and read and escape and celebrate words. It's not for yammering on about your plans that night or your love of gothic fiction.

I scurried downstairs. MORE outdoor voices. Two older couples guffawing and chortling about running into each other. WON'T YOU ALL JUST SHUT UP? WE ARE IN A BOOKSTORE, PEOPLE!

Only saving factor was that I found the book on Sundance/Miramax that I was looking for in San Francisco. I am SUCH a bookstore geek.

No comments: