Thursday, October 14, 2004

Organic Lessons Learned

Need to share that I attempted to be all organic and farm-y this week and went to the newly-launched Capital Hill Farmer's Market. It gets a big shoulder shrug and a "HUH" from Beth.

First off, it consisted of about a dozen stalls. Perhaps in my enthusiasm I was expecting miles and miles of tents and booths and craft stalls that went as far as the eye could see. This is clearly not the case. It's ten card tables in a small parking lot. That's IT.

Secondly, I purchased 3 Asian pears and 4 peaches. It came to $8. To my surprise, the fruits did not have gold coins hidden inside of them. Clearly I am naive about how much organic fruit costs.

Lesson learned: Save yourself the bitterness and walk the mile down the hill to the Pike Place Market, which DOES go on for miles and miles (sort of) and where you can buy a week's worth of produce for $10.

No comments: