Tuesday, March 22, 2005

A Few Words on Family

Well, I am back from Denver after a very emotional and exhausting couple of days. I was surprised how hard this trip was for me -- I flew in feeling very in control and ready to support my mom and Get Things Handled. Going in, I was sad about my uncle, sure, but we didn't have a particularly deep personal relationship and I hadn't seen him in a long while and certainly not while he was sick.

And yet, sitting in church and looking at his coffin flanked by my aunt and uncle and cousins and their kids, it hit me how much I was going to miss my uncle Steve. And how, despite not being a really integral part of my daily life, he was still such a huge part of my family and that part is gone now, which is such a shame.

So we move on. Or we try to as best we can. I guess the old saying of taking it one day at a time is true, so that's how I'm going about it.

On a related note, I was so moved and touched by the thing that a certain person emailed to me (you know who you are) that I just can't describe it. That was so thoughtful...and so NEEDED. I can't WAIT. Thank you, thank you, thank you. For everything.

No comments: