Thursday, January 08, 2004

It's official -- I'm throwing a birthday party! For myself...on Valentine's Day. I debated doing it for a while because it seemed sort of self indulgent, but then I realized, girl, you're going to be 30. It deserves a celebration and it will be fun to get my friends together, crack open some champagne and enjoy life for a night.

I'm feeling nostalgic tonight. We hired this new guy at work about two months ago. He's 22. Very bright, but young. Or rather, he makes me feel old. And as I'm thinking of my 30th birthday, it makes me think about my life at 22 and how different it was. At 22 I had just graduated college, was temping in the finance department of a nuclear defense plant, was deeeeeply involved with Martin. I was heartbroken over Joey. I wore a lot of black tights with Doc Martens. Seattle seemed like a good a place as any to head to. I took enormous pride in carrying a dayplanner, and flicking my arm out to look at my watch like some businessman in a movie from the 80s.

It makes me giggle to think of it. Ah, youth -- God bless it. Listening to the Rushmore soundtrack and I'm blaring The Faces song, "Ooh La Lah" -- sing on everyone..."I wish that I knew what I know now...when I was younger...I wish that I knew what I know now..."

No comments: