Friday, April 23, 2004

Morrissey was right -- we DO hate it when our friends become successful. Take bands, for example.

Have you ever found a totally obscure band that no one has heard of and fall in love with them and then -- suddenly they hit the mainstream and they are EVERYWHERE and you become disenchanted and eventually deeply annoyed/hostile with them? Dude, I knew them when they were cool, you might say. (Or you might not, I can't say for sure.)

That was me with the Barenaked Ladies. My friend Jen and I were listening to them when we were just high school punks buying CASSETTES at Wax Trax. We had to ask for them because they were so unheard of. Now, they're freakin' everywhere. They kind of bug me now. Not sure why. They haven't done anything to me. They still put on kick-ass shows that are hilarious. The lead singer Steve is still a total cutie.

Why am I going on and on and on about this? I found their blog site today. Check it out. Hope they don't annoy you. They were darned cool singing about Yoko Ono and Cruel Green Dresses.

No comments: