Monday, June 06, 2005

I'm not too proud to help myself

Every now and then (usually after drinking), I get on a self-help book kick. I'm not proud of this trend, but I guess it could be worse. I could, for example, listen to early recordings of Celine Dion over and over while curled up on the floor after I get a little tipsy. Instead I end up at the downtown Barnes and Noble dragging friends over to the "self improvement" section and force them to listen to the wacky titles that Drunk Beth mocks (usually too loudly), but Sober Beth secretly wants to read but is to ashamed to follow through on.

I mean, really, after knocking back a few too many vodka tonics, what single gal doesn't want to find out "All You Need to Know to Make Men Fall Madly in Love with You and Marry "The One" in 3 Years or Less" or "How to Meet Anyone, Anytime, Anyplace"? Lest you think I am joking, these are actual titles I have seen, and proud to say I have never picked up. Seriously. Even at my drunkest.

ANYHOO. This entry is rambling a bit. Point being -- while we're on the topic of self-help books, I'm actually looking to find some good suggestions focusing on success/leadership/management/business. If it specializes in PR and/or marketing specifically, all the better. I never read these types of books, and figured now might be a good time to learn more about how to excel and motivate and succed and....yeah. You get the idea. Books with candles on the cover or quotes from John Gray on the back will be immediately declined. But if you've found a good "Ten strategies to be a better, studlier you" type of book that you found helpful, drop me a note and let me know about it.

Otherwise, dammit, I'll have to get drunk and look for it myself and I think we all know that's not a very good idea.

No comments: