Sunday, August 15, 2004

It's been a pretty mellow and asocial weekend, which is usually fine by me. But by this afternoon I was going insane in da membrane with boredom and loneliness, so I decided to head out for a walk. This is, after all, why I moved -- to wander through an actual neighborhood and admire people's gardens and stare nosily into their living rooms.

I wandered into two bookstores near my house (yes, two bookstores, near my house, you heard me), the first of which had several cats wandering about that were literally the size of toddlers. You could ride these things around to various sections in the store, I'll bet. Second bookstore was toddler-sized cat free, but was playing Wilco's "Jesus, etc." which is by far the best song in the universe (**) and instantly transported me back to the summer of 2002 when I was on a road trip pulling over for gas in Jerome, Idaho at a gas station/video store that featured two dozen taxidermied animal heads on the walls.

** Okay, it's a tough battle between that and The Smiths' "There is a Light That Never Goes Out," The Rolling Stones' "Beast of Burden" and "Punk Rock Girl" by the Dead Milkmen. There's no good answer here.

No comments: