Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Life without TV continues to turn me into a reading BEAST.

This weekend I finished Where Is The Mango Princess? which was about a woman whose husband suffers a major brain injury after a boating accident. All weekend I kept thinking about the brain and the body and how the two work together and how much there is that our brain does that we don't even think about. At one point in the book the author says that our body is literally just a "pile of meat" that our brain singlehandedly controls. I mean, THINK ABOUT THAT. That is some crazy stuff, man. Your heartbeat, your memories, your personality, your ability to swallow...it's all up there in mission control and you don't control any of it. Then I starting thinking about a friend-of-a-friend's-friend (if only it were that simple) I knew about five years ago that had a brain injury and wondered how he is now.

And now I'm in the middle of Rescuing Patty Hearst which is about a woman whose mother suffers from schizophrenia and kidnaps her children for three years to their summer home to prepare for an imaginary war. Clearly I'm all about the mental illness/trauma these days, which can't be a good sign.

Also compelled to note that ONCE AGAIN I have been bitten by some mutant angry spider/insect scary thing while I sleep, this time on my wrist and today my hand is puffed up like some weird inflatable fake hand. I feel like John Merrick. I AM NOT AN ANIMAL.

No comments: