Wednesday, February 04, 2004

I need to rant.

It's pretty well established that kids, for the most part, freak me out. I'm not comfortable about them, I don't know how to act around them, I never know what to say to them. I've never changed a diaper in my life. I babysat ONCE and vowed that i would never do it again, ever. Blame it on being an only child, blame it on my always being around adults for most of my childhood, whatever. Kids are just not something I'm good at.

THIS DOES NOT MAKE ME A FREAK. I am not mean, heartless, selfish, cold, weird, barren, bitchy or doomed to spinsterhood just because I am not good with kids. I'm also not good at long distance running, public speaking and anything that involves math, but no one seems to get upset and self rightous about my lack of skill/enthusiasm for those things.

IT'S FINE IF YOU HAVE KIDS. Look, I think being a parent is one of the most difficult, terrifying, admirable and miraculous things a person can do. It's just not for me. And that's okay. You don't need to whisper around me or stop mid-sentence when you're talking about something little Taylor/Prism/Chadwick/Argyle did over the weekend. Be proud that you're a parent and that you're doing something pretty frickin' amazing. It's important and its life changing. Just don't get all uppity and self important when I don't share your enthusiasm.

No comments: