Wednesday, February 11, 2004

Only a few days to go until my birthday/valentine's/dinner/fondue party and I am in anxious hostess mode. Still trying to figure out what to prepare that will result in the perfect menu that people will be talking about for generations to come. Perhaps my sights are a bit high? All I know is that I'm going to be brave and try to recreate the sangria and chicken paillards in dijon mustard sauce from Cha Cha Cha, the fabulous restaurant in San Francisco. Couple that with some chocolate fondue and I guess it won't be all bad.

I haven't had a dinner party in YEARS. When I first moved here I threw them somewhat often, and then just fell out of the habit. I get too preoccupied now about everything that could go wrong -- what if people don't come? Or if people don't get along? Or if there are awkward silences? Food poisoning? The list of potential catastrophes goes on. And yet the alternative -- dining alone every night with my cat and my knitting -- seems....unspeakable and all too beige. FIGHT THE BEIGE, BETH, I told myself. And so I move forward....

No comments: